Follow us on LinkedIn
I’m always intrigued by finance movies, and my all-time favourite is “Margin Call.” I wonder if the upcoming movie “Dumb Money” will surpass it and become my new favourite?
Dumb Money is the ultimate David vs. Goliath tale, based on the insane true story of everyday people who flipped the script on Wall Street and got rich by turning GameStop (yes, the mall videogame store) into the world’s hottest company. In the middle of everything is regular guy Keith Gill (Paul Dano), who starts it all by sinking his life savings into the stock and posting about it. When his social posts start blowing up, so does his life and the lives of everyone following him. As a stock tip becomes a movement, everyone gets rich – until the billionaires fight back, and both sides find their worlds turned upside down. (source imdb)
The Varsity recently reviewed this movie:
– “Dumb Money” is a film based on the GameStop short squeeze controversy of January 2021.
– The movie follows characters like Keith Gill, a Reddit personality who inspired GameStop’s rise, and Gabe Plotkin, the hedge fund founder trying to lower GameStop stock prices.
– The film offers an entertaining underdog story about the rigged stock market.
– It highlights the pandemic’s divide, with hedge fund managers not wearing masks while working-class traders do.
– The movie explains financial concepts in an accessible way, making it easy for viewers to understand terms like “shorting” stocks.
– It includes real-life elements like TikTok reactions and congressional hearings.
– Ordinary people with debts invested in GameStop stocks, creating a fascinating narrative.
– The cast, including Paul Dano, Seth Rogen, and America Ferrera, delivers compelling performances.
– The film underscores the power of ordinary people in influencing the stock market through online discussions.
– It humorously portrays the stock market’s precarious and absurd nature, emphasizing its rigged system.
Let me know what your favourite finance movie is in the comments below
Have an answer to the questions below? Post it here or in the forum