What is Market Cycle
It is not a secret that every financial market including the stock market faces a lot of ups and downs. It can be seen in past years that these ups and downs are coming with frequent regularity, roughly about every 2-3 years. A lot of people might think that this is just another coincidence but some financial experts recognize these phenomena as the cyclical nature of the stock market. These periods or cycles are known as the market cycle. In this article, we will learn more about the various aspects of the stock market cycle.
Definition of Market Cycle
Market Cycles or Stock Market Cycles is a term that refers to certain patterns and trends that occur in the overall movement of the market. It is said that these patterns and trends repeat themselves over time. During these cycles some stocks or financial assets outperform others, and some become overvalued or undervalued. Some financial assets outperform others because their business models are ideal for the current state of the market.
Simply put, the Market Cycle is the period between the high and low points of the market.
Types of Market Cycle
There are four different types of Market Cycles
- Accumulation Phase: This is the phase where the market is bottomed and investors start to buy their assets.
- Markup Phase: This is the phase where the market is becoming more stabilized and thus more investors are entering the market. Prices of stocks keep increasing in this phase.
- Distribution Phase: This is the phase where the market reaches its peak. Investors start to sell their assets and the prices of stocks start to decline.
- Downtrend Phase: This is the phase where the market becomes unstable and investors are selling their assets at a loss. The prices of stocks keep falling in this phase.
Indicators of Market Cycle
There are a few indicators that can help you determine where the market is in its cycle.
- Price Trends: One of the most common indicators of the market cycle is price trends. You can look at the historical prices of stocks or other financial assets to see if there are any patterns.
- Volume: Another indicator is volume which is the number of shares or contracts that are traded in a given time period. You can look at the volume to see if there is any increase or decrease during certain phases of the market cycle.
- Sentiment: You can also look at the sentiment of the market to determine where it is in its cycle. There are a few indicators such as the put/call ratio, short interest, etc.
- Demand: You can also look at the demand for stocks to determine where the market is in its cycle. Demand is high during certain phases of the market cycle and low during other phases.
Analysis of Market Cycle
The market cycle can be analyzed to determine where it is in its current phase. When the market goes into the Downtrend phase, it means that it is at its low point after which there will be an increase in prices or stock value.
The accumulation phase comes after the downtrend phase when prices are low. During the accumulation phase, there is a lot of buying activity in the market and it can be considered to be stable or almost reaching its peak.
The markup phase usually occurs after the accumulation phase. This is where the market starts to become more stable and prices start to increase. Buying and selling activities are starting to rise during this phase.
The distribution phase is considered as the peak point of the market cycle where the stock prices reach their peak. Most investors start to sell their assets at this point, and the market becomes unstable. And it leads again to the Downtrend phrase, And the cycle starts again.
The market cycle is a recurring pattern of phases that the market goes through. There are four different types of the market cycle, and each type has its own indicators. You can use these indicators to determine where the market is in its current phase. The market can be analyzed to determine which phase it is in and what to expect in the future.
Have an answer to the questions below? Post it here or in the forum
Company to be in San Francisco January 8-12, 2023, during 41st Annual J.P. Morgan Health Care Conference WOBURN, Mass. and HAIFA, Israel, Jan. 03, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Minovia Therapeutics, a clinical-stage global biotechnology company, today announced that the Company will be presenting at the Biotech…
King Dollar’s reign (definitely) coming to an end, bonds bouncing and emerging markets rising again are just some of the trades international money managers are betting on in 2023. Sky-high inflation and the global gut-punch of nearly 300 central bank interest rate hikes over the…
Masimo SpHb Demonstrated “Clinically Acceptable Accuracy” of Hemoglobin Measurement, Even at Low Hemoglobin Levels NEUCHATEL, Switzerland — Masimo (NASDAQ: MASI) today announced the findings of a prospective study published in the Egyptian Journal of Anesthesia in which Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim Beleta and colleagues at Cairo…
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO U.S. NEWS WIRE SERVICES OR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES SASKATOON, Saskatchewan & LONDON — Gensource Potash Corporation (“Gensource” or the “Company”) (AIM/TSXV: GSP), a fertilizer development company focused on sustainable potash production, today announced that on December 30, 2022, it…