What is Framing Bias?

When making decisions, individuals may come across various biases or heuristics. These biases can impact their decisions adversely. Usually, biases stem from pre-existing beliefs or how individuals perceive information. These biases may also have an impact on financial decisions. One such bias that may exist in finance is the framing bias.

What is the Framing Bias?

The framing bias stems from the information that individuals use to make decisions. By highlighting specific features of the presented information, individuals may perceive it differently. In other words, the framing bias comes from how an individual’s decision may get influenced by how information gets presented to them.

Add your business to our business directory https://harbourfronts.com/directory/ Add your business. Also check out other businesses in the directory

Framing bias, also known as the framing effect, can influence individuals’ decisions differently for identical scenarios. It may occur when decision-makers choose varying solutions for similar or identical problems. The only difference between both scenarios is the way the information gets presented to them. By doing so, the framing bias can significantly impact the decisions that individuals make in various circumstances.

How does the Framing Bias work?

Framing bias primarily relates to how individuals perceive information. This perception usually depends on how this information gets presented to them. For the same information presented differently, individuals may get differing insights. The framing bias can be significantly influential in any decision-making process. It can also help manipulate individuals’ perceptions of information by altering its presentation.

The framing bias may also relate to anchoring bias, which is when individuals put over-reliance on the first piece of information they receive. As both of these relate to how individuals perceive any information presented to them, they can influence each other. It may also relate to the status-quo bias, where individuals are likely to prefer default options compared to a different choice.

What is the Framing Bias in finance?

As mentioned, the framing bias also applies to investors and other financial decision-makers. Most investors come across various decisions during their activities. Similarly, they also consider several investments before choosing the best option. Sometimes, however, their perception of information may differ based on several factors. This variation in opinion constitutes framing bias.

For example, an investor considers two stocks for investing. The information presented for the first stock states that the investor has a 60% chance of making a loss. The second one shows that the investor has a 40% chance of making a profit. While both have similar probabilities, the investor is likely to consider both options differently due to framing bias. In this case, the investor will choose the second option as the first one presents a high loss percentage.

How to avoid Framing Bias?

Like any other bias or heuristic that may exist, framing bias is also avoidable. Individuals must understand what this bias is and be aware of its existence. By doing so, they can identify any instances where they may allow the presentation of information to impact their decisions. However, there are also other methods that individuals can use to protect against framing bias.

Individuals that make choices can also avoid framing bias by being aware of their decisions. The more information they have about those decisions, the more likely they are to mitigate framing bias. Giving more thought to each decision can significantly help them make well-informed choices. Similarly, individuals can consider the logic for each decision they make to avoid framing bias.

Conclusion

Biases or heuristics may exist in all areas for decision-makes. Framing bias is when individuals allow the presentation of their information to influence their decisions. In other words, it relates to how individuals get presented with information and how they perceive it. It is possible to avoid framing bias through awareness and other methods listed above.

Further questions

What's your question? Ask it in the discussion forum

Have an answer to the questions below? Post it here or in the forum

LATEST NEWSInvestor group bans carbon removal from CO2 reduction plans
Investor group bans carbon removal from CO2 reduction plans

LONDON — An investor group committed to climate change and controlling $11 trillion in assets has banned members from counting carbon removal schemes towards their emissions reduction targets before 2030, amid increasing scrutiny of the fast-growing market for carbon offsets. The Net Zero Asset Owner…

Stay up-to-date with the latest news - click here
LATEST NEWSUK grocery price inflation rises to record 16.7% -Kantar
UK grocery price inflation rises to record 16.7% -Kantar

LONDON — British grocery inflation hit a record 16.7% in the four weeks to Jan. 22, dealing another blow to consumers battling an escalating cost-of-living crisis, industry data showed on Tuesday. Market researcher Kantar said grocery inflation was at its highest since it started tracking…

Stay up-to-date with the latest news - click here
LATEST NEWSFrance eked out 0.1% growth in Q4 as energy crisis eased
France eked out 0.1% growth in Q4 as energy crisis eased

PARIS — France managed to eke out meager growth in the final quarter of 2022 as falling energy imports and firm business investment offset a pullback in consumer spending, preliminary gross domestic product (GDP) figures released on Tuesday showed. The euro zone’s second-biggest economy grew…

Stay up-to-date with the latest news - click here
LATEST NEWSAegir Insights Welcomes Ørsted as a Client for its Offshore Wind Market Intelligence and Investment Analytics
Aegir Insights Welcomes Ørsted as a Client for its Offshore Wind Market Intelligence and Investment Analytics

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Aegir Insights, a sector leader in offshore wind intelligence and investment solutions, is proud to welcome Ørsted A/S (Ørsted), the world’s largest offshore wind developer, as a client. Aegir Insights provides a competitive edge to offshore wind investors by combining deep industry…

Stay up-to-date with the latest news - click here
LATEST NEWSBlack Friday, holiday sales spur demand at South Africa's Shoprite
Black Friday, holiday sales spur demand at South Africa's Shoprite
Stay up-to-date with the latest news - click here

Leave a Reply